Heinz site upgrades bring new levels of operating efficiency
|Location:||Northgate, Brisbane, Australia|
|Scope overview:||Develop a Site Upgrade Plan and a Site Utilisation Plan to optimise the overall production capacity|
H.J. Heinz is one of the world’s leading food companies with a host of household brands and products including Golden Circle.
In 2008, Heinz purchased Golden Circle in Australia and subsequently engaged Wiley to provide site planning services.
The objective was to develop a Site Upgrade Plan, focusing on staff access and amenity, and a Site Utilisation Plan to optimise the overall production capacity of the existing facility.
The success of that project resulted in Wiley being engaged to complete successive works on the Northgate site:
- New main covered access walkway and canteen upgrade to service over 400 staff
- Modifications to existing main entrance gate
- Replacement of process floor
- Underpinning of existing switchboards due to previous subsidence
- Removal of all asbestos cement roofing and including internal working areas
- New truck turning areas
- Water softeners upgrade
- Outdoor amenities and staff areas
- Underground drainage repairs involving radio controlled equipment
- Process design for a new Long Life Paper Upgrade including new UHT plant.
- Making early planning decisions based on historical drawings of the existing buildings versus the need to understand early the structural capacity of the existing building
- Tight timeframes due to the seasonal nature of their business
- Working in existing areas where space was limited, ensuring construction activity had minimal disruption to existing operations and Heinz repairs and maintenance works
- Providing separation of construction activity to existing staff access and existing Good Manufacturing Practice zones
- The use of motorised construction equipment on existing elevated concrete floors
- Staging the works to allow subsequent works to be added at a later date
- Providing timely feedback to Heinz management regarding latent site conditions
- Removal of large areas of asbestos cement over roof top using temporary access and vertical goods lifts
- Ensuring electrical lockout occurred in a multi-circuit environment to permit safe working conditions for tradespeople whilst maintaining an energised IT hub.
- Temporary diversion of service and delivery vehicles during construction.
- Provision of concept design and budget pricing to assist client with early decisions
- Provision of confirmed budgets based on sketch plans enabling Heinz to capitalise the individual projects
- Completion of working drawings during the construction phase
- Ensuring staff and vehicular access remain separate
- Compliance with Good Manufacturing Practice principles.
- Provision of a value engineered solution for the new process floor by evaluating several design options balanced against Heinz’ operational requirements
- Provision of new drainage repair technologies to minimise the risk of cracking the existing vitreous clay pipes
- Integration of a new truck access with an existing adjacent development which had flood modelling requirements for overland flow
- Provision of professional engineering services to scope multiple small process equipment and process line related upgrades.
- Delivery of a cost effective solution for undercover access for staff into the plant
- Protection of existing services and surfaces that needed to be retained
- Management of equipment upgrades installations and provision of customised modifications of existing equipment lines to optimise productivity.
Wiley delivered multiple projects on time and within budget as part of Heinz master plan for their acquired Northgate site.
Most of the works can be further upgraded over time in a piecemeal manner, reducing the upfront capital cost of a total site upgrade.
This approach illustrates the value Heinz’ places on early planning and careful consideration of all options available prior to implementation, A commitment which is firmly balanced with fitting into an overarching corporate framework of compliance and ongoing improvements of their production efficiency.